Young Learners

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Trusha

Aug 23, 2021
Young learners are similar to adult learners because:

A> Both need experiential learning to really learn best
B> Both need very active methodologies such as TPR to help them learn

(Please assist with the answer to this quiz and explain your answer. Thank you)

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Do you mean we need to choose between A or B?

I would say both are correct depending on the teaching situation and level of the students.

Experiential learning is defined as:

In the field of second-language acquisition (SLA), the experiential approach encourages learners to develop the target language skills through the experience of working together on a specific task, rather than only examining discrete elements of the target language. With regard to the phase of reflection that follows such experience, students are then required to actively engage with their own past experiences and focus on the future (Knutson, p. 53). In addition to students’ language development achieved through the experience of working together to practice the target language, experience learning implies many other potential benefits for SLA in terms of motivation, investment, and cultural understanding.

Trusha

Aug 23, 2021
Hi
Yes choose between A or B.
I chose A because it says "similar" to adult. Whereas if I choose B I am saying that adults also need "very active" TPR methods which I do not believe to be true (similar). But yet both young learners and adults (if beginner adults) require TPR to learn. I also would say both are correct but I can only choose one.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Well, it is a tough question. TPR is usually associated with teaching children. However, if you have a beginner adult, TPR can be useful rather than using the student's native language.

Looking at some articles about experiential learning, it seems something for aligned with adults, but if you click through to the article which I linked up to above, you can see it is set up for young learners.

So, I think in reality both are correct, or can at least be argued that way. If you need the "correct" answer you probably need to read through the preceding text and try to find the answer that way.