Writing task 2: Who should pay for old age homes, the family or government?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
In Britain, when someone gets old they often go to live in a home with other old people where there are nurses to look after them. Sometimes the government has to pay for this care.
Who do you think should pay for this care, the government or the family?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Answer:
Some people believe that the government should pay for the care provided at old age homes, while others believe that the family of the old person should be responsible to bear the expenses of the care provided at old age homes. In this essay, I will discuss both views before giving my opinion on this topic.

Undoubtedly, old age is a time of great vulnerability when a person tends to become dependent on others for care and support. Some people claim that it is the government's responsibility to look after such segments of society because , having served as law abiding and tax paying citizens throughout their lives, they deserve to be taken care of by the government. Moreover, they also believe that, nowadays, due to financial insecurity, it is next to impossible for the family of the old person to pay for the care provided at old age homes. I believe, however, that the family of the old person should be the one paying for the care provided at old age homes.

Firstly, as the healthcare system of the world is improving day by day, the number of old people in the world is increasing. This means that more people are now being taken care of, at old age homes. Hence, the government expenditure on such old age homes is increasing as well, leading to a major chunk of government budget being spent on such old age homes. I believe, this portion of budget could have been better utilized elsewhere such as in the field of education, healthcare, infrastructure etc. In addition to that, the family of the old person, their children in particular, should bear the responsibility of the person because the old person was once a young person who had taken care of his/her children without looking towards the government for help. So, needless to say, it is now their turn to be taken care of in the same way. I believe that only if the family of the old person is not in a financial state to bear the expenses of the old age home, should the government pay for it.

For example, a person earning a wage that is just a bear minimum for him to survive, should be exempt from paying for old age home care. The government should bear the responsibility, in such a situation. I feel that the government should set a criteria for the ones who should be exempted from bearing the expenses of old age homes.

In conclusion, I believe that it is a moral obligation as well as feasible to the government, if the family bears the expenses for the care provided at old age homes, except in certain situations as mentioned above.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people believe that the government should pay for the care provided at old age homes, while others believe that the family of the old elderly person (elderly person sounds more respectful to me) should be responsible to bear the expenses of the care provided at old age homes. In this essay, I will discuss both points of views before giving my own opinion on this topic.

Undoubtedly, old age is a time of great vulnerability when a person tends to become dependent on others for care and support. Some people claim that it is the government's responsibility to look after such segments of society because , having served as law abiding and tax paying citizens throughout their lives, they deserve to be taken care of by the government. Moreover, they also believe that, nowadays, due to financial insecurity, it is next to impossible for the family of the old elderly person to pay for the care provided at old age homes. I believe, however, that the family of the old person should be the one paying for the care provided at old age homes. (you could ask say "retirement homes" for "old age homes)

Firstly, as the healthcare system of the world is improving day by day, the number of old people in the world is increasing. (Rather than saying the number of old people is increasing, you could say people's life expectancy is growing) This means that more people are now being taken care of, at old age homes. Hence, the government expenditure on such old age homes is increasing as well, leading to a major chunk of the government budget being spent on such old age homes. I believe, this portion of budget could have been better utilized elsewhere such as in the field of education, healthcare, infrastructure etc. In addition to that, the family of the old person, their children in particular, should bear the responsibility of the person because the old person was once a young person who had taken care of his/her children without looking towards the government for help. So, needless to say, it is now their turn to be taken care of in the same way. I believe that only if the family of the old person is not in a financial state to bear the expenses of the old age home, should the government pay for it.

For example, a person earning a wage that is just a bear minimum for him to survive, should be exempt from paying for old age home care. The government should bear the responsibility, in such a situation. I feel that the government should set a criteria for the ones who should be exempted from bearing the expenses of old age homes.

In conclusion, I believe that it is a moral obligation as well as feasible to the government, if the family bears the expenses for the care provided at old age homes, except in certain situations as mentioned above.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Very nice writing. The question does say to use examples from your own experience, so you may have wanted to discuss the situation with your parents or grandparents, or what happens in your country. At the minimum, I would say 7 if not an 8.