Writing task 2:Some people argue that job satisfaction is more important than job security.

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
Some people argue that job satisfaction is more important than job security, while others believe that they cannot always expect job satisfaction and a permanent job is more important.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Answer:
Some people hold the view that job satisfaction is more valuable than job security while others argue that a permanent employment is more important. In my opinion, job satisfaction is the most vital aspect of professional life and it is worth more than job security.

Firstly, job satisfaction is extremely crucial for the mental well being of a person. A person who enjoys being at work tends to lead a happier life than a person who is unsatisfied with his job or work environment. For instance, an individual who is satisfied with their job is more likely to be stress free and at a better place on a mental level. In contrast, a person who hates being at work will encounter a number of mental health issues such as stress, depression and anxiety. In my opinion, being happy at work is an irreplaceable experience and should be strived for. Moreover, a secure but unsatisfying job may benefit the person monetarily for a long time but it will negatively impact all other aspects of the life of an individual including his social, psychological and family life. For example, an individual may vent the frustration, accumulated at their workplace, on their children or spouse at home leading to disastrous consequences. The individual will suffer needlessly, even though they could attempt to switch jobs to find a satisfying one, all because of their preference for a secure job.

On the other hand, some people argue that a permanent job is more important than a satisfying job because a stable job provides a person relief from worries related to unemployment and being laid off at short notice. The proponents of this notion claim that a stable job grants stability in the life of a person regardless of it being satisfying or not. They also believe that a satisfying job is hard to find and, therefore, the main aim of an individual should be to secure a permanent job in this era of uncertainty. From my perspective, however, a person should not settle for an unsatisfying job just because it is a permanent one owing to the negative consequences on the mental health of an individual who is unsatisfied with his professional life.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that job satisfaction is crucial for leading a happy life and everyone should look for a job that they are passionate about, regardless of the job security it offers, because, in the end, mental health must be protected at all costs.