• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing task 2: Should dangerous sports be banned?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:

Some people believe that governments should ban dangerous sports. Others claim that they should have freedom to choose their favourite activities. Discuss both views and present your opinion.

Answer:

Some people believe that governments should ban dangerous sports while others believe that people should have the freedom to choose their favourite activities. In this essay, I will discuss both points of view and give my opinion on this matter.

There are many different sports that are considered dangerous, and rightly so, like MMA, Formula F1 racing to name a few. In my opinion, people should be allowed to engage in such dangerous sports if that's what they find alluring or interesting. The government should not ban such sports because, in the end, adrenaline junkies would find a way to take part in such sports illegally. Moreover, they would end up hurting themselves and putting the lives of others at risk as well in an unmonitored setting without any safety gear or precautions. Therefore, governments should play a role to make such sports safer by setting in place safety precautionary measures to decrease the number of accidents and mishaps. For instance, exemplary safety precautions in the Formula 1 Grand Prix has decreased the number of accidents on the circuit to a negligible amount and they continue to learn from their failures and enhance these precautionary measures.

The voice from the other side that advocates banning of such dangerous sports is also partially understandable since life of a human is a precious thing and the government holds the responsibility to safegaurd the lives of its citizens but the government must also not curb the freedom of choosing what one wants to do willingly and for the sake of pleasure. What is more, such dangerous sports are not only played by many but they also attract large audiences and banning such sports would prevent people from watching their favourite sports like boxing or MMA. Keeping in view the aforementioned points, the best possible step the government can take is to strictly monitor such sports and set in place safety precautionary measures that help to prevent loss of life. Furthermore, they should develop training centres for those who want to learn or take part in such sports so that they may not be left unsupervised while engaging in such activities jeapordizing their own lives and of others. Banning of playing such dangerous sports unsupervised should be the way forward for the government.

For example, boxing is a well renowned and highly followed sports which is being learned by many at professional boxing coaching centres and the safety precautionary measures practised on a ring protect the players. Hence the reason, we don't hear about the death of any boxer these days since they play in a controlled environment.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that outright banning of dangerous sports should not be the way forward for a government to tackle such a situation but they should ban playing such sports unsupervised and improve the safety precautionary measures to protect the lives of the players.

Last edited by a moderator:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people believe that governments should ban dangerous sports while others believe that people should have the freedom to choose their favourite activities. In this essay, I will discuss both points of view and give my opinion on this matter.

There are many different sports that are considered dangerous, and rightly so, like MMA, Formula F1 racing to name a few. In my opinion, people should be allowed to engage in such dangerous sports if that's what they find alluring or interesting. The government should not ban such sports because, in the end, adrenaline junkies would find a way to take part in such sports illegally. Moreover, they would end up hurting themselves and putting the lives of others at risk as well in an unmonitored setting without any safety gear or precautions. Therefore, governments should play a role to make such sports safer by setting in place safety precautionary measures to decrease the number of accidents and mishaps. For instance, exemplary safety precautions in the Formula 1 Grand Prix has decreased the number of accidents on the circuit to a negligible amount and they continue to learn from their failures and enhance these precautionary measures.

The voice from the other side (not a natural expression) that advocates banning of such dangerous sports is also partially understandable since life of a human is a precious thing and the government holds the responsibility to safeguard the lives of its citizens but the government must also not curb the freedom of choosing what one wants to do willingly and for the sake of pleasure. What is more, such dangerous sports are not only played by many but they also attract large audiences and banning such sports would prevent people from watching their favourite sports like boxing or MMA. Keeping in view the aforementioned points, the best possible step the government can take is to strictly monitor such sports and set in place safety precautionary measures that help to prevent loss of life. Furthermore, they should develop training centres for those who want to learn or take part in such sports so that they may not be left unsupervised while engaging in such activities jeopardizing their own lives and of the lives of others. Banning of playing such dangerous sports unsupervised (I am not sure what you mean by this?) should be the way forward for the government.

For example, boxing is a well renowned and a highly followed sports which is being learned practiced by many at professional boxing coaching centres and the safety precautionary measures practised on in a ring protect the players boxers. Hence the reason, we don't hear about the death of any boxer these days since is because they play box in a controlled environment.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that the outright banning of dangerous sports should not be the way forward for a government to tackle such a situation but they should ban playing such sports unsupervised and improve the safety and precautionary measures to protect the lives of the players.

Feedback

I would suggest sticking to common connectors, such as:

also
besides this
furthermore
however
in addition
in contrast
moreover
nevertheless
on the other hand
what is more

Also, be are that some sports like basketball, was say "play basketball" and we have "basketball players".

We was talk about boxing, we can use the verb "box" or "do boxing" and the participants are called "boxers".

I hope this helps!