Writing task 2: People will stop buying printed books in the future?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
In the future, nobody will buy printed newspapers or books because they will be able to read everything they want online without paying.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Answer:
Some people believe that in the future people will stop buying printed newspapers or books because there would be widespread availability of free reading material online. In my opinion, I disagree with the above statement to a large extent and will present my reasons in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, the perception that there will be free reading material online in the future is absurd. There is no reason to believe that writers will start sharing their articles or novels or any piece of writing free of cost to the general public through internet. Reason being, their source of income comes through writing and selling their books, so it is naive to think that they will start sharing their pieces of writing for free. Hence, people will continue to buy books and newspapers in printed form if they were to pay for them online as well. Moreover, some people love to read books in printed form only, because it gives them a better feeling and satisfaction than reading online. Furthermore, those belonging to poor countries may not have access to internet and will be, therefore, forced to buy printed books only. In addition to that, reading books online through a mobile phone, in particular, has certain negative implications on health of the reader, like decrease in visual acuity due to continuous exposure to harmful rays of mobile phone screens. Hence, this will remain a reason for people to buy books in printed form.

However, there is no denying that the number of people reading books online will increase in the future. Having said that, at the same time, they will not completely replace those who read books in printed forms due to the reasons mentioned above. Some people will definitely turn to reading books online because of the easier access to a wide range of books online and the advantage of saving time by not going to a book shop in search of a book.

To illustrate my point about people opting to read books in printed form, from firsthand experience, even in universities of rich countries, like the US, where online resources are plentiful, people continue to go to libraries for learning and reading books.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that, in my opinion, the notion that people will stop buying printed books in favour of online reading is far fetched due to the aforementioned reasons.

Last edited:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people believe that in the future people will stop buying printed newspapers or books because there would be widespread availability of free reading material online. In my opinion, I disagree with the above statement to a large extent and will present my reasons in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, the perception that there will be free reading material online in the future is absurd. There is no reason to believe that writers will start sharing their articles or novels or any piece of writing free of cost to the general public through the internet. The reason being, their source of income comes through writing and selling their books, so it is naive to think that they will start sharing their pieces of writing for free. Hence, people will continue to buy books and newspapers in printed form if they were to pay for them online as well. Moreover, some people love to read books in printed form only, because it gives them a better feeling and satisfaction than reading online. Furthermore, those belonging to living in poor countries may not have access to the internet and will be, therefore, forced to buy printed books only. In addition to that, reading books online through a mobile phone, in particular, has certain negative implications on the health of to the reader, like a decrease in visual acuity due to continuous exposure to harmful rays of mobile phone screens. Hence, this will remain a reason for people to buy books in printed form.

However, there is no denying that the number of people reading books online will increase in the future. Having said that, at the same time, they will not completely replace those who read books in printed forms due to the reasons mentioned above. Some people will definitely turn to reading books online because of the easier access to a wide range of books online and the advantage of saving time by not going to a book shop in search of a book.

To illustrate my point about people opting to read books in printed form, from firsthand experience, even in universities of rich countries, like the US, where online resources are plentiful, people continue to go to libraries for learning and reading books.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that, in my opinion, the notion that people will stop buying printed books in favour of online reading is far-fetched due to the aforementioned reasons.

Feedback

Good range of vocabulary. Be careful not to go overboard with connectors. It makes your writing a little stilted. I would avoid making too strong statements, such as saying something is "absurd".

Reactions: jedah