PreplyHomeEnglishWriting task 2: Convenience food will replace traditional foods
Daniel
Daniel

Writing task 2: Convenience food will replace traditional foods

Nowadays, there is growing interest in convenience foods throughout the world but more so in developed countries. This has led some people to believe that in the near future convenience foods would become widely common and, ultimately, they will replace traditional foods and traditional methods of cooking. I agree to an extent that convenience foods will become more common but I believe that they will never completely replace traditional ways of cooking and preparing food. Firstly, the primary reason for increase in popularity of convenience foods throughout the world is that they can be prepared quickly saving a lot of time and effort of an individual. In today's fast paced world, saving time is very important and the wise utilization of time is the need of the hour. Spending hours on cooking food is something that most people around the world cannot afford, therefore, convenience foods have come forth as a saviour in this regard. Moreover, cooking is an art that has to be learned and practiced frequently. Many people around the world lack cooking skills, hence, they prefer to eat convenience foods, especially, if they are living alone. For instance, convenience foods are a particular favorite of most college and university students living alone in hostels. These are the reasons why the popularity of convenience foods will increase even further in the near future as more and more people wish to save more time and utilize their free time productively. I believe, however, that traditional foods and methods of cooking will continue to exist in parallel to convenience foods because some people prefer eating traditional foods only. Moreover, convenience foods provide a limited range of flavours and tastes which might be a downside that will repel some people, foodies in particular. Traditional ways of cooking provide an opportunity to experiment and create new dishes according to the liking of an individual. Furthermore, convenience foods are more expensive than traditional foods so the poor segments of society will naturally prefer eating and preparing traditional foods only. In addition to this, cooking is an art that has existed for many centuries and being a cook or a chef has turned into a profession that is well respected in society so I do not see it ceasing to exist ever. There will always be people opting to take up cooking as a hobby or a profession. In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that, in my opinion, convenience foods will gain even more popularity in the future, owing to its advantage of being less time consuming to prepare, but they will never be able to completely replace traditional foods and ways of cooking, since there will always be someone who will prefer traditional cooking and foods.

1 person liked this question

4 Answers

4 from verified tutors
Oldest first

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Daniel Your question is beyond the scope of this “Questions and Answers” page. For comprehensive explanations, book some lessons to benefit more. This page does not provide essay marking services. Sign up with me and I'll prepare you for IELTS and assess your writing. https://preply.com/en/tutor/90551/ Best Regards

The answer is:

Placement test

Find out your English level.

Take this 5-min test to see how close you are to achieving your language learning goals.

Cristyna
Cristyna
English Tutor
Professional and friendly TEFL certified Tutor invested in your success.

Hello, Your question is beyond the scope of this Q&A page. I recommend that you sign up with a Tutor to help you. Regards

The answer is:

Jennie
Jennie
English Tutor
Fun and effective English tutor with MA TESOL and 12 years of experience

Daniel, this is a nice nuanced argument and a well-planned essay. I respect your choice to turn this into a ‘yes, but…’ argument rather than viewing it as black or white, one side or the other. This shows that you have some good control over the logic in your writing.

As you consider revising this essay and strengthening it further, here are a few suggestions:

• Consider your metaphors: Ask yourself if viewing convenience foods as a ‘saviour’ is the best way to create a metaphor. It implies a strong visual correlation. For example, ask yourself: Have these foods ‘come forward as a saviour’ or have they ‘stepped in to lighten the load’?
  • Examine your finer word choices. You have developed your writing to the point that it’s time to get into the fine details. Certain phrases could be re-worded to sound more ‘natural’ or ‘native’: ‘in the near future…foods would,’ ‘to an[the] extent that,’ ‘...reason for [the] increase in popularity….'

These are very fine details, but they are exactly the sort of thing that can help you achieve a high score on a written exam. Of course, vocab and spelling check tools will often miss the types of details I have pointed out. Your best resource would be a Preply tutor who can study your essay writing with you and help to guide to toward even greater language proficiency! I’d suggest searching for Preply tutors with IELTS or TOEFL specialties.

The answer is:

Naeema
Naeema
English Tutor
Expert English lessons with a Native English speaker, professional teacher with more than 3 years’ experience & qualified accountant with more than 4 years’ experience.Business English / General / Conversational English lessons.

Please discuss with a teacher in your lessons for feedback and writing skill tips.

The answer is:

Still need help?

Find an online tutor for 1-on-1 lessons and master the knowledge you need! Prices from just $5 per hour.

Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

English community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online