PreplyHomeEnglishWritingTask2: Competition for universities is becoming increasingly strong
Renata
Renata

WritingTask2: Competition for universities is becoming increasingly strong

In recent times, competition for getting into any university has increased significantly owing to the fact that most jobs require an educational degree from a well renowned university. Therefore, students leave no stone unturned in order to get into a reputable university resulting in an increase in competition. I believe that it is more of a positive development even though it has some drawbacks. Firstly, as the population has increased rapidly in recent times, more number of students are applying for a limited number of university seats. This is one of the reasons why getting into a university has become increasingly difficult. Moreover, students are aware of the need to graduate from a reputable university to be able to grab a job of their dreams. Therefore, students strive harder and get better grades to be able to get enrolled into a decent university. Furthermore, most universities in addition to good grades require a fair amount of extracurricular activities to consider a student as worthy for admission. For instance, some universities prefer students who have participated in and won debate competitions and some universities also allocate a quota of seats for students who perform exceptionally well at sports. This has all resulted in students to be more vigilant and hardworking in order to improve their CVs. Competition has therefore increased to levels never seen before. In my opinion, this development has positively impacted the mindset of students as they work harder and do not limit themselves to studies alone but also participate and excel in extracurricular activities which will help them in their future endeavours. Moreover, the competition they face earlier in life will be crucial for them as life in general has become way too competitive these days and these experiences will strengthen their mentality and resolve which will prove to be helpful in future when they are faced with hardships. However, the drawback of this development is that those students who are unable to secure excellent grades will be deprived of the opportunity to study in a university of their liking but, at the same time, this could still prove to be a blessing in disguise for such students because they will be able to explore their areas of strength and proceed accordingly in their careers. Nonetheless, those who still are unable to get a university degree will still be at a disadvantage. Although, overall the number of advantages of this development are more than its disadvantages. In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that the increase in competition to get enrolled in a university has more positive impacts on students, like the increase in willingness to work harder and stay focused to achieve their goal, than any negative impacts.

2 people liked this question

3 Answers

3 from verified tutors
Oldest first

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Renata Your question is beyond the scope of this “Questions and Answers” page. For comprehensive explanations, book some lessons to benefit more. This page does not provide essay marking services. Sign up with me and I'll prepare you for IELTS and assess your writing. https://preply.com/en/tutor/90551/ Best Regards

The answer is:

name

You have chosen a rather interesting and acute topic for your essay. Every year there are fewer and fewer university places, yet the number of applicants is increasing. Unfortunately, universities cannot increase the number of students, as it is necessary to hire new teachers and equip classrooms. Fighting within an ever-growing population is typical, so adaptation is necessary. Many of my friends enrolled in https://miami.asa.edu/ this year are seriously preparing to win this competition. You've written a great essay. Good luck!

Placement test

Find out your English level.

Take this 5-min test to see how close you are to achieving your language learning goals.

Cristyna
Cristyna
English Tutor
Professional and friendly TEFL certified Tutor invested in your success.

Hello, Your question is beyond the scope of this Q&A page. I recommend that you sign up with a Tutor to help you. Regards

The answer is:

Jennie
Jennie
English Tutor
Fun and effective English tutor with MA TESOL and 12 years of experience

Hi, Renata! You took the brave choice of writing an essay that looks at the balance between extreme opinions. This can be an effective way to show off your logic and rhetoric skills.

Here are a few things to consider when revising to strengthen this essay:

• Since you identified fewer drawbacks than positive developments, your body paragraphs feel a bit unbalanced. As well, it seems that you are arguing that the drawbacks may even have positive results. You may want to consider a way to clarify your main idea. This would help the reader understand that you generally see this competition as a positive and stimulating aspect of modern life. It may also help you identify some arguments that could be more deeply developed and others which you may wish to remove.
  • To help you clarify your own thoughts, I’d also suggest writing different versions of your thesis statement. Try to work the gist of your following arguments into the thesis. This can then act as a guide for the rest of your essay and help to focus your ideas.

There are a few other points that would benefit from a deeper conversation with a Preply tutor, followed by a revision of your work and a final review. Although my tutoring schedule is currently booked, there are many excellent Preply tutors qualified to guide you through high-level exam preparation.

The answer is:

name

You have chosen a rather interesting and acute topic for the essay.

name

Every year there are fewer and fewer university places, and the number of applicants is increasing. Unfortunately, universities cannot dramatically increase the number of student groups independently, as it is necessary to hire new teachers and equip classrooms. Fighting within an ever-growing population is a normal phenomenon, so adapting is necessary. Many of my friends enrolled in https://miami.asa.edu/ this year are seriously preparing to pass the competition. You have a great essay. Good luck with admission!

Still need help?

Find an online tutor for 1-on-1 lessons and master the knowledge you need! Prices from just $5 per hour.

Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

English community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online