• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing task 2: Advances in technology has decreased or increased the gap between the rich and poor?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:

Some believe that advances in technology are increasing the gap between rich and poor while others think the opposite is happening. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.

Answer:

Some people hold the view that advances in technology are increasing the gap between the rich and poor while others believe that it has helped to bridge the gap between the rich and poor. In this essay, I will discuss both points of view before giving my opinion on this matter.

I firmly believe that modern technology has helped to decrease the gap between the rich and poor, exclusively in developed countries, where the gap between rich and poor is already very low and exposure to modern technology and gadgetry is not limited to the rich only. As far as developing countries are concerned, advances in technology has served to increase the gap even further between the rich and poor.

In case of a developed country, advances in technology has provided a wealth of information and opportunities for learning to the poor. Leading to information and knowledge being widespread and not confined to the rich people. This has resulted in the less fortunate taking advantage of such knowledge and information at hand to acquire skills that are unique and to opt for professions that are well paid. Moreover, in the field of transport, advances in technology, like cheap public transport, is being utilized by both the rich and poor. Likewise, in the field of communication, everyone owns a mobile phone these days, regardless of the brand or model, and it serves its purpose of easing communication between people. In the field of education, for instance, everyone is on the same level owing to the widespread availability of educational help online. Similarly, modern healthcare is accessible to everyone in developed countries, like the UK. In my opinion, modern technology has paved an easier road for the poor to reach the level of the rich in developed countries.

In developing countries, however, modern technology has had an opposite impact. It has increased the gap between the rich and poor due to the accessibility to modern technology being only available to the rich. The less fortunate have little to no exposure to modern technology because it is expensive and those who are living on the bare minimum to survive can not afford the luxury of modern technology. This has resulted in the poor being at a disadvantage and the rich getting a head start in life owing to their utilization of modern technology. For example, a common commodity as the internet is only available to the rich in developing countries. Moreover, smartphones, cars, bank accounts, modern healthcare are also exclusive for the rich.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that advances in technology has had opposite impacts in developed and developing countries, decreasing the gap between the rich and poor in developed countries while increasing it in developing countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people hold the view that advances in technology are increasing the gap between the rich and poor while others believe that it has helped to bridge the gap between the rich and poor. In this essay, I will discuss both points of view before giving my opinion on this matter.

I firmly believe that modern technology has helped to decrease the gap between the rich and poor, exclusively in developed countries, where the gap between rich and poor is already very low and exposure to modern technology and gadgetry is not limited to the rich only. As far as developing countries are concerned, advances in technology has served to increase the gap even further between the rich and poor.

In the case of a developed country, advances in technology has provided a wealth of information and opportunities for learning to the poor, leading to information and knowledge being widespread and not confined to the rich people. This has resulted in the less fortunate taking advantage of such knowledge and information at hand to acquire skills that are unique and to opt for professions that are well paid. Moreover, in the field of transport, advances in technology, like cheap public transport, is being utilized by both the rich and poor. Likewise, in the field of communication, everyone owns a mobile phone these days, regardless of the brand or model, and it serves its purpose of easing communication between people. In the field of education, for instance, everyone is on the same level owing to the widespread availability of educational help online. Similarly, modern healthcare is accessible to everyone in developed countries, like the UK. In my opinion, modern technology has paved an easier road for the poor to reach the level of the rich in developed countries.

In developing countries, however, modern technology has had an opposite impact. It has increased the gap between the rich and poor due to the accessibility to modern technology being only available to the rich. The less fortunate have little to no exposure to modern technology because it is expensive and those who are living on the bare minimum to survive can not afford the luxury of modern technology. This has resulted in the poor being at a disadvantage and the rich getting a head start in life owing to their utilization of modern technology. For example, a common commodity as the internet is only available to the rich in developing countries. Moreover, smartphones, cars, bank accounts, modern healthcare are also exclusive for the rich.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that advances in technology has had opposite impacts in developed and developing countries, decreasing the gap between the rich and poor in developed countries while increasing it in developing countries.

Feedback

Well done. This is great. One of the best essays I have seen added here so far.