Writing task 1 - ask your landlord if you can pay your rent late

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

omhingmire

Nov 12, 2021
You are experiencing financial problems and want to ask your landlord if you can pay your rent late. Write a letter to your landlord.

In your letter explain:

• Why you are writing to him
  • Why you cannot pay the rent
  • When you will pay the rent.

Hello Mr. Turner,
I hope you are doing well and receiving this letter in good health. As I am unable to pay the rent for the last 2 months, you might have already predicted why I am writing this letter. This corona pandemic has hit me very hard. Because of this abrupt lockdown, I lost my job. The superstore where I was working, has cut down the headcount by half.
I am the only bill payer in my family and these layoffs pushed us into an unbearable situation. To make the condition even worst, a couple of my family members were hospitalized due to Corona. Paying hospital bills is costing arms and legs these days. To survive and feed my family I am working as a part-time freelancer. Moreover, I am burning midnights oil to get a new job. Hopefully, I will get some good news soon.
As per our pact, I should be paying you the monthly rent on the 10th of every month but I couldn't manage it for the last few months. I assure you I will pay the whole rent next month as I feel some positive vibes from a couple of companies where I have given the interview. I already have paid you the deposit of 50K, so in the worst case, you can cut down the 3 months' rent from the deposit amount itself.
I will keep my word and pay the rent as soon as I am in a position of clearing all my debts. I need your consent on altering these clauses in our agreement. Please reply to me with your views on this.

Yours faithfully,
Omkar

[275 words]

Last edited by a moderator:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Hello Mr. Turner,

I hope you are doing well and receiving this letter finds you in good health. As I am unable to pay the rent for the last 2 months, you might have already predicted why I am writing this letter. This corona pandemic has hit me very hard, because of this abrupt lockdown, I lost my job. The superstore where I was working, has cut down the headcount by half.

I am the only bill payer in my family and these layoffs pushed us into an unbearable situation. To make the condition situation even worst, a couple of my family members were hospitalized due to Corona. Paying hospital bills is costing us an arms and a legs these days. To survive and feed my family I am working as a part-time freelancer. Moreover, I am burning the midnights oil to get find a new job. Hopefully, I will get some good news soon.

As per our pact, I should be paying you the monthly rent on the 10th of every month but I couldn't manage it for the last few months. I assure you I will pay the whole rent next month as I feel some positive vibes from a couple of companies where I have given the had interviews with. I already have paid you the deposit of 50K, so in the worst case, you can cut down the 3 months' rent from the deposit amount itself.

I will keep my word and pay the rent as soon as I am in a position of clearing all my debts. I need your consent on altering these clauses in our agreement.
Please reply to me with your views on this.

Yours faithfully,
Omkar

Feedback

Good job. I would just be careful with the idioms you have used. You need to use them correctly and you want to avoid overusing idioms in these kinds of letters. In my opinion they look out of place and don't appear naturally.

omhingmire

Nov 12, 2021
hmm ok. Can you just point me on how I can improve my band score to 7.5? I was hoping this letter would get around 7.5.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
hmm ok. Can you just point me on how I can improve my band score to 7.5? I was hoping this letter would get around 7.5.

Like anything, you just need to keep practicing. You need to practice every type of question and also informal, semi-formal and formal letters. Showing that you know the difference can help you to get a higher score.

Try writing some task two essays also.