Writing complex sentences using subordinate conjunctions

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you to everyone who has been submitting their essays. I can see your writing improving and it is nice to see when you take my advice!

I was thinking of also doing some practice exercises, so you can develop your writing without having to write a whole essay. So how about we start with complex sentences.

If you want to get a higher band in your writing you need to have a variety of sentence structures. Most people understand how to write simple sentences, but struggle with complex sentences.

One way to do this is to use a conjunction to join an independent sentence with a dependent clause. An independent sentence can stand by itself, but a dependent clause cannot.

For example:

He loves playing cricket because he watches matches on TV with his father.

Here 'because' is the subordinate conjunction.

Here are some more conjunctions which you can use:

after
although
as
because
before
even if
even though
if
in order that
once
provided that
rather than since
so that
than
that
though
unless
until
when
whenever
where
whereas
whether
which
while
who

Let's practice using this task 2 question as a prompt:

There is growing evidence that man-made activities are making global temperatures higher.

What might be the man-made causes of temperatures rising? How should we deal with this problem?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Try now to write a couple of complex sentences answering this question. You don't have to write the whole essay.

While _____________________ , _____________________.

_____________________ so that _____________________ .

Even though _____________________ , _____________________ .