• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

What is wrong with this sentence?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

beparadise

Jan 2, 2021
My daughter, having been persuaded to stay home, gave up going out.

I was told that there is an error in this sentence.
Could anyone point out what is wrong with this sentence?

writeedge

Nov 30, 2020
Lorong Ah Soo
www.write-edge.com
I think using the term "having been" is totally wrong. To form the present perfect, you can use “has been”. To create the past perfect sentence, you can use “had been”.

Here is the correct sentence: My daughter had been persuaded to stay home, gave up going out.

beparadise

Jan 2, 2021
I think using the term "having been" is totally wrong. To form the present perfect, you can use “has been”. To create the past perfect sentence, you can use “had been”.

Here is the correct sentence: My daughter had been persuaded to stay home, gave up going out.
I'm afraid you took it wrong.
"having been" used here is something like "because she was ...", what's called " participle syntax "

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
It's the problem of just having one sentence and we don't know what was previously written.

beparadise

Jan 2, 2021
Okay that means there is no mistake. I actually didn't know what is actual mistake. Can you please let me know?
> Okay that means there is no mistake. I actually didn't know what is actual mistake.

That will be the answer. Thank you.