What is the difference?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Trusha

Aug 23, 2021
What is the difference between the following two statements?:

A> Language is the only thing we learn by experimenting
and
B> Only by experimenting with the language will students really grasp the use of the language

I need some clarity on the above statements please.

Trusha

Aug 23, 2021
The actual meaning. Does both sentences mean the same thing or is there a difference?
My understanding is as follows:

A> Means that language is the ONLY thing we learn by experimenting, so in other words we cannot learn anything else by experimenting.
B> By experimenting with the language will students grasp the language, which tells us that like experimentations in other fields, we can apply the same "experimenting" with the language

I am so confused by this. What do you understand by those sentences?

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
A> Means that language is the ONLY thing we learn by experimenting, so in other words we cannot learn anything else by experimenting.
B> By experimenting with the language will students grasp the language, which tells us that like experimentations in other fields, we can apply the same "experimenting" with the language

A> Yes, you are right. That is what I would have said.

B> I don't think you are right here. The sentence is not talking about other fields.

My explanation for this sentence is that students must experiment to learn how to use (speak/write) the language. This means students must produce language on their own. They must try to speak (or write) even if they are not 100% correct. They need to make mistakes and see if they will be understood in the language they are learning.

An example would be, students learn how to buy something from a shop. They can practice or roleplay in the classroom, or they can go out in real world and see if they can successfully buy something from a shop, that is if they are living in a place where the language is spoken.

Let's say I am learning Chinese and I am studying how to ask for the time. I need to try and go out and ask a Chinese speaker for the time. If they can't understand I need to try and refine my speech. Perhaps adjust the tones and keep trying to be understood, until I can successfully ask for the time.

I think the point is that we will struggle sometimes for people to understand us and we must keep trying. There will be some miscommunication and we will make mistakes, but the important thing is keep trying or experimenting with the language.

Does this explanation make sense?

Trusha

Aug 23, 2021
Yes it makes sense.
So in a multiple choice question (see below) would I be correct if I chose A?

Question: Young learners are similar to adult learners because:
A> both need experiential learning to really learn best
B> both need very active methodologies such as TPR to help them learn