What does marginal extensions mean?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

wintercaster

Aug 15, 2021
The original test is "Thus, the argument could be made that, for many consumers, aspects surrounding their ‘ actual ’ intention to patronise an establishment are more than simple, marginal extensions or complements of their purchasing experience."

I'm confused about what does the words marginal extensions mean, and its meaning in the test.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
I think it is better to explain with an example.

Let's say you go to a restaurant. Your intention for going to a restaurant is to eat something. But obviously there are other reasons we go to a restaurant than simply nourishing ourselves.

We might there for the ambiance, experience, service, atmosphere or décor or similar reason. These other reasons are what I believe are the "marginal extensions" of the experience, or in this case, the dining experience.

What do you think?

wintercaster

Aug 15, 2021
I think it is better to explain with an example.

Let's say you go to a restaurant. Your intention for going to a restaurant is to eat something. But obviously there are other reasons we go to a restaurant than simply nourishing ourselves.

We might there for the ambiance, experience, service, atmosphere or décor or similar reason. These other reasons are what I believe are the "marginal extensions" of the experience, or in this case, the dining experience.

What do you think?
Thank you for your reply. So, do marginal extensions mean the extension reasons of the major object? It is just like some extra reasons that support a person to do something? Is this right?

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
So, do marginal extensions mean the extension reasons of the major object?
I would say yes. It is kind of a verbose way of writing, but it seems like it is text from an academic paper, which tend to use more difficult language than what is often necessary.