What does “in-party chair” mean when talking about U.S. political party chairperson as in the following sentence:

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

sidebyside

Sep 6, 2021
They (RNC chair and DNC chair) are in some instances the spokespersons for their parties and, in the case of the “in-party chair,” spokespersons for the president on party matters.

I searched in bing.com, but found no relevant explanation. Can someone help me?

Many thanks!

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020

sidebyside

Sep 6, 2021
Does this help?

The chairmen of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and Republican National Committee (RNC) serve as the operational heads of their respective political party. In addition, each state and territory has their own Democratic and Republican Party which also have chairmen or chairwomen.

DNC's chair for example is Jaime Harrison. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/jaime-harrison-dnc-chair/index.html

I see what you mean, but I wonder what “in-party chair” mean? Is it possible that the RNC chair could be someone who is not Democratic?

The word "in-party" reminds me of "in-house", which means "done or existing within an organization."
e.g. "in-house publications"

So “in-party" could mean "belonging to or being a member of the political party.

However, it is hard for me as a Chinese to imagine that the RNC could have someone who is not a Democrat to be its chair.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Is it possible that the RNC chair could be someone who is not Democratic?
I doubt it and I am not sure why you think this might be the case.

After some thought, "in-party chair" is referring to the party that is currently in power. So now for example the Democrats are in power, so the chairperson of the DNC can act as the spokesperson for the president (Biden in this case) regarding party matters.

sidebyside

Sep 6, 2021
I doubt it and I am not sure why you think this might be the case.

After some thought, "in-party chair" is referring to the party that is currently in power. So now for example the Democrats are in power, so the chairperson of the DNC can act as the spokesperson for the president (Biden in this case) regarding party matters.
This explanation makes sense and leaves no doubt. Thank you so much!!!

Reactions: englishgeek