• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Used To versus Get Used To Something

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Do you know what is the difference between used to and to get used to something?

"Used to" is used when we are talking about something we did in the past, but no longer do that particular activity.

For example, I used to play the guitar. This means I once played the guitar, but I don't play it anymore.

To "get used to something" means to get accustomed to that particular thing.

For example, you could say something like:

I taught English in a classroom for 10 years, but I am still getting used to teaching online.

What is something that you used to do, but now no longer do? Did you start a new job or hobby which you are still getting used to?

alexanderfinn

Feb 16, 2021
Hello - can I mention your first sentence here?

Do you know what is the difference between used to and to get used to something?

In fact 'is' is in the wrong place. It should read:

' Do you know what the difference is between used to and to get used to something?

or

Do you know what the difference between used to and to get used to something is?

The question has already been asked (Do you know...) so we don't need a second question form with 'to be' inverted.