PreplyHomeEnglishHave to vs Having to
হাসিব
হাসিব

Have to vs Having to

What is the difference in meaning between these following sentences and why "having to" is used in the first sentence instead of "have to"? 1. Love means never having to say you're sorry. 2. Love means never have to say you're sorry.

0 people liked this question

2 Answers

2 from verified tutors
Oldest first

Chantelle
Chantelle
English Tutor
Professional full-time TEFL/TESOL & IELTS certified; 5+ years' experience

Good morning and thanks for another great question,

The answer here is tenses, particularly Present Simple VS Present Continuous Tense.

"Have to" is a modal verb which is used to indicate something which happens regularly whereas "having to" is a continuous action happening for a shorter period of time due to a need or requirement.

For example: I have to go for a walk with my dog every day. I'm having to walk my dog twice a day now as he has picked up weight.

Hope this helps? Chantelle

The answer is:

Chantelle
Chantelle
English Tutor
Professional full-time TEFL/TESOL & IELTS certified; 5+ years' experience

Important to note that you can also say "I have to walk my dog twice a day now as he has picked up weight" but that implies that this arrangement will continue indefinitely, not for a limited period of time.

Alex
Alex

Thank you! That was useful

Vallikannu
Vallikannu

Thanku for clear clarification

Placement test

Find out your English level.

Take this 5-min test to see how close you are to achieving your language learning goals.

Monica
Monica
English Tutor
TEFL Certified ESL instructor with 3 yrs+ experience - One stop shop for all your ESL needs

To add on to what Chantelle wrote, we use have to + infinitive to talk about obligation, things that are necessary to do, or to give advice about things that are a good idea to do.

For e.g : I don't want but have to go there.

"Having to" can also be used for an ongoing present sitatuon of limited duration:

For e.g : My wife is away this week, so I'm having to cook my own food..

The answer is:

Geoffrey
Geoffrey

Neither Chantelle nor Monica paid attention to the actual sentence in the question but only commented on the forms - infinitive and -ing-form. But in "Love means never having to say sorry" there is no present Progressive tense because "having to" here is a non-finite form (Gerund). It's unusual because modal verbs do not form either Progressives or Gerunds...

Still need help?

Find an online tutor for 1-on-1 lessons and master the knowledge you need! Prices from just $5 per hour.

Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

English community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online