Meaning of a clear voice

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

lolo

Apr 23, 2021
In some adverts for telephone work it is required candidates with a clear voice but what a clear voice mean? And, which categories of people could be considered as not having a clear voice?

lolo

Apr 23, 2021
I have not received a response to my thread even though it is an interesting one

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
I would say a clear voice is one where you enunciate each word clearly, your accent is not strong, like when people mention a "neutral accent".

Speed can also be a factor. I have noticed some people speak very fast and they start blending their words together.

I would say newsreaders are good examples of people who typically speak clearly.

Your speech should also be free of any jargon and slang.

I don't think you can get a definitive answer, as to how to define a 'clear voice' is completely subjective.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

lolo

Apr 23, 2021
I would like to know if people with speech defects like a lisp, a cluttering or a stutter can also be considered as not having a clear voice

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
I would say technically no, but if there was a job or something which required a 'clear voice' and if the impediment was severe then I am sure it would impact the person's success. US President Biden speaks with a bit of a stutter, but I think you can say he speaks clearly.

lolo

Apr 23, 2021
The Cambridge Dictionary definition of “voice” is

“the sounds that are made when people speak or sing

So if this sound is interrupted by hesitation or repeated because for example a stutter does not this affect the clarity of this sound?

lolo

Apr 23, 2021
I would like to reply first that concerning telephone work like in call centres we do not shout so not loud voice and secondly, how can the sound leaving our month be clear if it is interrupted and repeated by a stutter?

lolo

Apr 23, 2021
I have found the following websites where it is stated that people with a stammer are considered as not having a clear voice

https://www.quora.com/I-stutter-when-Im-talking-to-someone-and-they-dont-listen-to-me-Why

where it is stated the following

“Well repeating a word continuously for some time irritates many people and stuttering considers as lack of speaking quality. Every one wants to hear a clear voice and stuttering is not a clear voice. Clear voice means the man have confidence but a stuttering voice makes to feel like waste of time because you are saying one word many times.”