PreplyHomeEnglishas much as/as little as
Takahiro
Takahiro

as much as/as little as

Hi! My brother eats as much as my father. My brother eats as little as my father. Is there any difference of meaning between 2 sentences?

0 people liked this question

3 Answers

2 from verified tutors
Oldest first

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

My brother eats as much as my father. - This means that they eat equal amounts (however much that might be). My brother eats as little as my father. - This means that they both eat equal but little amounts.

The answer is:

Takahiro
Takahiro

I got it now. I study English with my kids. They are full of intellectual curiosity, so your answer really helps me. Many thanks.

Placement test

Find out your English level.

Take this 5-min test to see how close you are to achieving your language learning goals.

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

You are welcome Takahiro. All the best in your endeavors.

The answer is:

Abigirl
Abigirl
English Tutor
Experienced, Friendly TEFL Certified tutor, FCE ( B2 first) C1 Advanced (CAE) Linguaskill, Conversational English, Business English, travel English from beginner…

Yes, there is a difference in meaning between the two sentences.

The sentence "My brother eats as much as my father" implies that both your brother and your father consume a similar amount of food. It suggests that they have similar appetites or eat similar portions during meals.

On the other hand, the sentence "My brother eats as little as my father" suggests that both your brother and your father consume a relatively small amount of food. It implies that they both have small appetites or eat smaller portions compared to others.

So, while both sentences compare the eating habits of your brother and father, the first sentence suggests they eat a similar amount, while the second sentence implies they eat a smaller amount compared to others.

The answer is:

Still need help?

Find an online tutor for 1-on-1 lessons and master the knowledge you need! Prices from just $5 per hour.

Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

English community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online