IELTS Writing Task 2- The government should spend more money on medical research to protect citizens health

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Huy

Oct 11, 2021
The government should spend more money on medical research to protect citizens’ health rather than on protecting the environment. Do you agree or disagree?

Answer

It is a common belief that the government ought to invest more money in conducting medical research with a view to protecting the health of city dwellers rather than in conserving the environment. However, I firmly disagree with this idea as it is a waste of money when carrying on a medical study to protect citizens’ health, and people can avoid serious diseases thanks to better environmental protection. In the forthcoming paragraphs, I shall explain my point of view and give supporting reasons

To begin with, when the governments spend more money on saving the environment, citizens possibly evade some life-threatening diseases. This is because the environment is around individuals all the time, so human well-being relies heavily on it. Unless the environment is negatively affected, humans will be less likely to suffer from severe diseases which may even take medical researchers many years to find the treatment for such diseases. For example, the Covid-19 pandemic would be prevented if bats in China were rigorously controlled. Thus, using money with the focus of protecting the environment should be a priority in order to minimize the risks of getting dangerous diseases from wild animals

On top of that, medical research may cost the governments large sums of money. In detail, medical research probably requires multiple complicated instruments such as optical and electron microscopes and laboratory space to house all of such equipment, hence money spent on medical research might be three times higher than that of protecting the environment. One study, for example, shows that the amount of money allocated for the Covid-19 in terms of vaccine research exponentially increased, moving from 4 million USD in 2019 to 16 million USD in 2020. This proof, therefore, proves that governments have been squandering money since Covid-19 is yet totally cured.

To sum up, spending more money on protecting the environment can help people elude serious diseases and assist governments in reducing costs in favor of saving the environment. For this reason, conserving the environment should be the governments’ primary goal in an attempt to protect citizen’s health

Last edited:

Huy

Oct 11, 2021
I hope to receive some feedback regarding my vocab, grammar, Task Response
Many thanks, Teachers :love:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
It is a common belief that the government ought to invest more money in conducting medical research with a view to protecting the health of city dwellers rather than in conserving the environment. However, I firmly disagree with this idea as it is a waste of money when carrying on out a medical study to protect citizens’ health, and people can avoid serious diseases thanks to better environmental protection. In the forthcoming paragraphs, I shall explain my point of view and give supporting reasons

To begin with, when the governments spend more money on saving the environment, citizens possibly evade some life-threatening diseases. This is because the environment is around individuals all the time, so human well-being relies heavily on it. Unless the environment is negatively affected, humans will be less likely to suffer from severe diseases which may even take medical researchers many years to find the treatment for such diseases. For example, the Covid-19 pandemic would be prevented if bats in China were rigorously controlled. Thus, using money with the focus of protecting the environment should be a priority in order to minimize the risks of getting dangerous diseases from wild animals.

On top of that, medical research may cost the governments large sums of money. In detail, medical research probably requires multiple complicated instruments such as optical and electron microscopes and laboratory space to house all of such equipment, hence money spent on medical research might be three times higher than that of protecting the environment. One study, for example, shows that the amount of money allocated for the Covid-19 in terms of vaccine research exponentially increased, moving from 4 million USD in 2019 to 16 million USD in 2020. This proof, therefore, proves that governments have been squandering money since Covid-19 is yet totally cured has not yet been eradicated.

To sum up, spending more money on protecting the environment can help people elude serious diseases and assist governments in reducing costs in favor of saving the environment. For this reason, conserving the environment should be the governments’ primary goal in an attempt to protect citizen’s health.

Feedback

I get what you are saying, but I think you could have made your argument clearer.

I would have thought talking about pollution and its links cancer would have been a better example. Large amounts of money for instance on cancer research, but possibly one of the main causes of cancer are the toxins emitted into the environment from polluting industries.

Discussing Covid-19 is a tough one because the origins of the virus are quite controversial.

• Love
Reactions: Huy