IELTS Writing Task 2- Tests restrict on teachers and learners

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

longgtran

Sep 29, 2021
Too much emphasis is placed on testing these days. The need to prepare for tests and examinations is a restriction on teachers and also exerts unnecessary pressure on young learners.
How far do you agree or disagree with this view?

It is sometimes argued that the assessments not only limit the trainers but also make young pupils feel more anxious as the tests’ role has been increasing dramatically. While this thinking is valid to a certain extent, I believe that evaluation systems also have numerous advantages in both teachers and learners.

On the one hand, there are many compelling reasons why testing young learners has numerous negative impacts on the learning process. Firstly, teachers’ performance and ability to teach would be affected if we always focus on providing competition. For instance, the lecturers just need to fulfill the parents’ expectations by teaching test-based knowledge to provide higher academic results. As a result, less useful knowledge or life skills would be taught. Secondly, placing too much concentration on examinations would have an adverse bearing on young students. This is due to the fact that they do not have enough time to develop other skills, except cramming for the exams. Moreover, assessments always make them feel anxious and pressure, which increases the rate of dropping out of school.

Despite these above benefits, I would contend that tests are still essential for teachers and children. On the lecturers’ level, this plays as a formative assessment, which illustrates the students’ weakness and strength. By estimating the young learners more frequently, the teachers would know which aspects do their children understand or not. This plays a vital role for tutors to suggest young peers the most suitable job career. Furthermore, on the children’s level, assessments also have a number of effects. According to a recent survey, most of the interviewers said that they just learned when the exam was getting close. Hence, the evaluation motivates their inspiration, which makes them to focus on learning and pass other bad habits

In conclusion, while some maintain that there is no need to provide the assessment due to its impact on teachers as well as young learners, I believe that it is better to estimate their knowledge regularly by providing tests.
(333 words)

(Can you estimate my band score? Thank you so much)

Last edited:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
It is sometimes argued that the assessments not only limit the trainers but also make young pupils feel more anxious as the tests’ role has been increasing dramatically. While this thinking is valid to a certain extent, I believe that evaluation systems also have numerous advantages in both teachers and learners.

On the one hand, there are many compelling reasons why testing young learners has numerous negative impacts on the learning process. Firstly, teachers’ performance and ability to teach would be affected if we always focus on providing competition. For instance, the lecturers just need to fulfill the parents’ expectations by teaching test-based knowledge to provide higher academic results. As a result, less useful knowledge or life skills would be taught. Secondly, placing too much concentration on examinations would have an adverse bearing on young students. This is due to the fact that they do not have enough time to develop other skills, except cramming for the exams. Moreover, assessments always make them feel anxious and under pressure, which increases the rate of dropping out of school.

Despite these above benefits(1), I would contend that tests are still essential for teachers and children. On the lecturers’ level, this plays as a formative assessment, which illustrates the students’ weaknesses and strengths. By estimating(2) the young learners more frequently, the teachers would know which aspects do their children understand or not. This plays a vital role for tutors to suggest young peers the most suitable job career. Furthermore, on the children’s level, assessments also have a number of effects. According to a recent survey, most of the interviewers said that they just learned when the exam was getting close. Hence, the evaluation motivates their inspiration, which makes them to focus on learning and pass other bad habits

In conclusion, while some maintain that there is no need to provide the assessment due to its impact on teachers as well as young learners, I believe that it is better to estimate(3) their knowledge regularly by providing tests.

(1) Don't you mean the disadvantages?

(2) I think you should say 'assessing'

(3) Assess would be better here also

I think you could get at least a 7 for this essay, if not higher.