IELTS task 2-Advertising

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Huy

Oct 11, 2021
Question: In some countries, advertisers increase the amount of advertising which try to persuade children to buy snacks, toys and other goods. Parents object to such pressure on children. But some advertisers claim that there is useful information in these advertisements.

Discuss both views and give your opinion

Answer:

Although some advertisers suppose that advertisements include a host of informative knowledge,many families consider that these things put the pressure on their children. While some information from advertisements may be useful in situtaions, I believe that the pressure put on children by advertisements is more important.

On the one hand, the growth amount of advertising can be a great source of information about products. When the advertisements was less prevalent in few years ago, human beings did not have any means to know more exactly about goods,merchandise,…Due to this development, we may have more insights about usefulness of products because the companies need to tell customers clearly reagarding their products to covince them to buy.When the people know these products through various advertisements, it can also provide choices for shoppers because they can compare prices among many stores before making a purchase.It can therefore be argued that the increasing amount of advertising should be considered as a convenient way to convey product information to users.

On the other hand, it is perhaps even more important to pay attention to the pressure which advertisements put on underage children. In detail,advertising food and drink that have high levels of fat and sugar always focus on advertsing to children ,who is easily affected by the content on the internet.For example, Mc Donalds usually sell food with toys involved to attract little children when we order a huge amount of fried chicken, or hamburger on the website. This strategy I believe many companies apply to make children pester their parents to buy products advertised on social media. Thus, instead of uplifting the usefulness of advertising products ,parents must early realize the potential effect of advertisements on their children and handle it properly

In conclusion, I can understand why advertisers might conclude that there are useful information in advertisements,yet it seems to me that the pressure which advertisements put on children is much more noticable in this case.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Although some advertisers suppose that advertisements include a host of informative knowledge, many families consider that these things put the pressure on their children. While some information from advertisements may be useful in some situations, I believe that the pressure put on children by advertisements is more important(1).

On the one hand, the growth in the amount of advertising can be a great source of information about products. When the advertisements was were less prevalent in a few years ago, human beings did not have any means to know more exactly about goods and merchandise. Due to this development, we may have more insights about the usefulness of products because the companies need to tell customers clearly reagarding about their products to convince them to buy. When the people know these products through various advertisements, it can also provide choices for shoppers because they can compare prices among many stores before making a purchase. It can therefore be argued that the increasing amount of advertising should be considered as a convenient way to convey product information to users.

On the other hand, it is perhaps even more important to pay attention to the pressure which advertisements put on underage children. In detail, advertising food and drink that have high levels of fat and sugar always focus on advertising to children, who is are easily affected by the content on the internet. For example, Mc Donalds usually sells food with toys involved to attract little children when we order a huge amount of fried chicken, or hamburger on the website. This strategy I believe many companies apply try to make children pester their parents to buy products advertised on social media. Thus, instead of uplifting the usefulness of advertising products, parents must early realize the potential effect of advertisements on their children and handle it properly

In conclusion, I can understand why advertisers might conclude that there are useful information in advertisements, yet it seems to me that the pressure which advertisements put on children is much more noticeable in this case.

(1) Maybe you mean 'more of an issue' or 'more problematic'?

Always add a space after a period or comma.

I think it would have been better if you included an example of how companies use advertising to give information about their products. I would say that most advertising that I see on TV (which is not much lately for me) is more about playing on people's emotions than giving information about their products.

The example of McDonalds is a good one, as it is clear that the company uses advertising to appeal to children and their parents, especially using free toy giveaways which you mentioned.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

• Love
Reactions: Huy