IELTS - Social media, such as Facebook, twitter ,are replacing face-to-face contact

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

dung

Mar 31, 2021
Social media, such as Facebook, twitter ,are replacing face-to-face contact in this century . Do you think the advantages of this way outweigh the disadvantages ?

Social networking site such as Facebook ,Twitter which are alternative real interaction in this century .While this trend may bring about some benefits, I would argue they are eclipsed by the drawbacks

On the one hand , this trend offers people several benefits . Firstly, people can keep in contact with their loved one easily . For instance, people who are studying or working abroad , can contact with someone on Facebook, Twitter and so on . Secondly, people also enable to interact all time with more people .Finally, vy using social media , internet users can update news immediately without going out . For example , they surf newfeed and they will know many things about life .

In spite of the advantages , mentioned above , I believe that replacing face-to-face contact by social media is a negative trend . To begin with , it reduces the quality of interpersonal communication .Many people are addicited to social networking site so that they constantly stare at screens during dinners without absolutely paying attention to the people around them . Spending too much time access to social media , people on the style of speaking and writing , specially young people . Nowadays , young people use teencode words , which are frequently used in text messages or in posts on social media , or sometimes , they also use unsuitable words enough . People less go out since they spend their free time on chatting with someone or taking the photos to post social media .

In conclusion , for the reasons mentioned above , I am of the opinion that the negative impacts that social networking site has on our communication are outweigh by the advantages .

Last edited by a moderator:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter which are increasingly being used as alternatives to real interaction in this century. While this trend may bring about some benefits, I would argue they are eclipsed by the drawbacks.

On the one hand, this trend offers people several benefits. Firstly, people can keep in contact with their loved ones easily. For instance, people who are studying or working abroad, can keep in contact with someone on Facebook, Twitter and so on . Secondly, people are also enable to interact all time with more people .Finally, by using social media, internet users can update news immediately without going out. For example, they can surf their newsfeed and they will know learn many things about life .

In spite of the advantages, mentioned above, I believe that replacing face-to-face contact by social media is a negative trend. To begin with, it reduces the quality of interpersonal communication .Many people are addicted to social networking sites so that they constantly stare at screens during their dinners without absolutely paying attention to the people around them . Spending too much time accessing to social media, people on the style of speaking and writing (this sentence is confusing and I don't know what you mean), especially young people . Nowadays , young people use 'teencode' words , which are frequently used in text messages or in posts on social media or sometimes, they also use unsuitable words enough . People less go out less since they spend their free time on chatting with someone or taking the photos to post on social media .

In conclusion, for the reasons mentioned above, I am of the opinion that the negative impacts that social networking sites have on our communication are outweigh by the advantages.

Feedback

First of all, welcome to the forum! Thank you for posting your essay.

The question has some grammatical errors, which probably didn't help you to give a good answer, so be careful with that. I doubt the IELTS test would mention Facebook directly.

I understand what you mean by 'teencode'. I just Googled the word and it seems like it is an app in Vietnam. It is not an actual English word, so be careful with that. You could put it in quotation marks, but I would suggest avoiding using it all together.

Keep practicing your writing. The only way to improve is to practice and get people to check your writing.