Explore tutors

7 questions found on English Indirect Speech

PreplyHomeEnglish

7 questions found with subject English

Richard
Richard
1likes
1answers

What is the backshifting rule in reported speech?

What is the backshifting rule in reported speech? It is difficult to me convert sentences.

1 person liked this question

Best answer from our tutor

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Richard When changing direct speech to reported speech, there are modifications to pronouns, time adverbials and verb tense (most often). Back-shifting happens when a verb tense is shifted back from a present tense to a past form in reported speech, although it doesn’t happen in all reported speech. It is also known as the sequence-of-tense rule.

“I am feeling sick.” He said he was feeling sick. “Where did you get that?” Mom asked where I had got that. “I have seen the doctor.” You said you had seen the doctor. “Can I come with you?” she asked She asked if she could come with us

We use backshift when it is logical to use backshift. Eddy said "I am hungry" Eddy said that he was hungry. (Yesterday) Eddy just said that he is hungry. (Now) (No back-shifting required – not logical because Eddy is still hungry)

When the main verb in the reported speech is in the present tense, the verb in the reported phrase does not change. “He is coming.” She says that he is coming. “They came last week.” He says they came yesterday. “I can do it.” He says he can do it.

Best Regards

The answer is:

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Doston said he was going to the UK that day.

The answer is:

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
English Tutor
English Literature Teacher with a Certified BA Degree, Post Graduate Teaching Diploma and 30 years; teaching experience.

The above sentence is incorrect. it should read: "Where is your bird now?" they asked. Check the puntuation (remove the comma) and change 'said' to 'asked', as it is a question. To rewrite it in indirect speech, start with the phrase containing your reporting verb (asked) and, since the reporting verb is in the past tense, change all the other verbs to the past tense too and adapt the adverbs (time words) and pronouns: They asked where their (his/he) bird was then (at that time).

The answer is:

Jan
Jan
4likes
4answers

Difference between direct and indirect speech English grammar?

What is the difference between direct and indirect speech English grammar? WHen and how do you use t...

4 people liked this question

Edel
Edel
English Tutor
TEFL Certified Tutor- Take your English fluency to the next level.

Hello! I'm giving the difference between direct and indirect speech.

For direct speech, you're talking about what happened immediately. What happened exactly as it happened. You're also talking of things that happened in the present, and pertain to present continuous things. When you're writing direct speech, you need to write it in inverted commas -- open " and close " it. It must be in quotes.

For example, John said, "it is snowing outside" so you put them in quotes.

For indirect speech, you are reporting what someone said, or what someone did. You do not use quotes, or inverted commas open and close, you report it. You are using the past simple or past continuous tense. For example, John said he had backache, John said it is snowing outside.

With indirect speech, you do not use quotes and you use the past tense. For direct speech, you're using the present tense and you're putting the speech in quotes. Thank you so much for listening!

The answer is:

Mir
Mir
0likes
4answers

Narration.

How do you change the narration of the following sentence. She asked me, "H...

0 people liked this question

Chandreyee
Chandreyee
English Tutor
Online experienced English Tutor: Grab the opportunity to get fast results

In indirect speech you can write this statement as She enquired me that how the enemy went.

The answer is:

علي
علي
2likes
2answers

Reported questions

Hi every one I need help if someone asked me "where are you going on Friday night?" how can I make...

2 people liked this question

name
English Tutor
Tutor

The first answer is correct. That shows the reported form. The second shows that it had already past and the event is the past.

The answer is:

Rajesh
Rajesh
1likes
3answers

Direct to indirect

"Stay hungry, stay foolish", adviced Steve jobs Change this into direct to indirect

1 person liked this question

Erica
Erica
English Tutor
English tutor from the US

If you stay hungry, you will stay foolish.

The key here is 'you' which takes the phrase and turns it into a direct statement. The final result is a complete sentence, with the word 'you' being a direct pronoun.

The answer is:

Still looking for help?

Try an expert online tutor. 1-on-1 lessons for every budget.

Tutor avatar
Tutor Avatar
Tutor country flag
English
$
per hour
15,690 lessons
Speaks:EnglishNative+5
Advanced TESOL Instructor with 12 years Teaching Experience, Midwestern American Accent and Pronunciation + Certified English / Spanish Medical Interpreter My over 150 reviews speak for themselves, but if you really want to take your English to the next level and are serious about cutting back on mistakes, and improving naturalness and efficiency, I am your guy! How will I help you? By Energizing Your English! My TESOL Certification Specializing in ...
$
per hour
Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

Community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online