• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Gerunds & Infinitives

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

behnamhb1999

Jan 11, 2021
Hello everyone!! 👌

I have a question about the use of gerunds or infiinitives after certain verbs. I already know what a gerund or infinitive is!! When I usually go through grammar lessons, I find a list of words that usually go with a gerund or an infinitive!! And of course there is no simple way to memorize the list!!

For example:

I never like to risk losing my job.

If I use it with an infinitive, it will be difinitely wrong!!

I want to know if there's a way to determine whether we have to use a gerund or an infinitive with a particular verb!!

LT-HCM

Dec 20, 2020
Here is my way. First, I form 3 tables of verbs that could be followed by either a gerund [G] or infinitive {I}.

1) The 1st table contains 12 verbs that can go with either [G] or {I} with the same meaning. These 12 verbs are divided into 4 groups.

Group 1 - 4 verbs: begin, start, continue, and cease
Group 2 - 4 verbs: like, love, hate, and prefer. (Note: with 'would', use only {I} - for example, 'would like to eat' is okay. 'would like eating' is not.)
Group 3 - 2 verbs: can’t stand, can’t bear
Group 4 - 2 verbs: neglect, propose

2) The 2nd table contains 9 verbs that can go with either [G] or {I} with the different meanings. These 9 verbs are divided into 3 groups of 3 verbs each.

Group 1 - 3 verbs: stop, quit, finish
Group 2 - 3 verbs: forget, remember, regret
Group 3 - 3 verbs: try, dread, need

3) The 3rd table contains 6 verbs: advise, allow, permit, encourage, require, and urge. I use the silly word ‘AAPERU’ to remember them, which can go either with [G] or {I} with 2 different structures:
1. Verb + [G] - for example, "The doctor advised eating fresh fruits daily."
2. Verb + noun/pronoun + {I} - for example, "The doctor advised me to eat fresh fruits daily."

Besides the above 27 verbs (12, 9, 6), some verbs can only be used with [G], such as enjoy, delay, practice, etc. Following them are activity gerunds.
For example, it is nonsensical to say "I eat jogging" (jogging is an activity); but "I enjoy / delay/practice jogging" is all right.

In short, instead of remembering all these verbs separately, I rely on this string, "12 (4422), 9 (333), 6 AAPERU activity", to recall them if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: englishgeek