Gerunds & Infinitives

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

behnamhb1999

Jan 11, 2021
Hello everyone!! 👌

I have a question about the use of gerunds or infiinitives after certain verbs. I already know what a gerund or infinitive is!! When I usually go through grammar lessons, I find a list of words that usually go with a gerund or an infinitive!! And of course there is no simple way to memorize the list!!

For example:

I never like to risk losing my job.

If I use it with an infinitive, it will be difinitely wrong!!

I want to know if there's a way to determine whether we have to use a gerund or an infinitive with a particular verb!!

LT-HCM

Dec 20, 2020
Here is my way. First, I form 3 tables of verbs that could be followed by either a gerund [G] or infinitive {I}.

1) The 1st table contains 12 verbs that can go with either [G] or {I} with the same meaning. These 12 verbs are divided into 4 groups.

Group 1 - 4 verbs: begin, start, continue, and cease
Group 2 - 4 verbs: like, love, hate, and prefer. (Note: with 'would', use only {I} - for example, 'would like to eat' is okay. 'would like eating' is not.)
Group 3 - 2 verbs: can’t stand, can’t bear
Group 2 - 2 verbs: neglect, propose

2) The 2nd table contains 9 verbs that can go with either [G] or {I} with the different meaning. These 9 verbs are divided into 3 groups of 3 verbs each.

Group 1 - 3 verbs: stop, quit, finish
Group 2 - 3 verbs: forget, remember, regret
Group 3 - 3 verbs: try, dread, need

3) The 3rd table contains 6 verbs: advise, allow, permit, encourage, require, and urge. I use the silly word ‘AAPERU’ to remember them, which can go either with [G] or {I} with 2 different structures:
1. Verb + [G] - for example, "The doctor advised eating fresh fruits daily."
2. Verb + noun/pronoun + {I} - for example, "The doctor advised me to eat fresh fruits daily."

Besides the above 27 verbs (12, 9, 6), some verbs can only be used with [G], such as enjoy, delay, practice, etc. Following them are activity gerunds.
For example, it is nonsensical to say "I eat jogging" (jogging is an activity); but "I enjoy / delay/practice jogging" is all right.

In short, instead of remembering all these verbs, I rely on this string, "12 (4422), 9 (333), 6 AAPERU activity".

Last edited:
Reactions: englishgeek