Every year several languages die out. Some people think that this is not important as life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

lingwang

Nov 27, 2021
Many people argue that the extinction of numerous languages every year is not a serious problem as modern life will be less complicated without so many languages worldwide. Personally, I completely disagree with this view because I think that languages have a lot of benefits to individuals and society as well.

To begin with, language is an integral part cultural heritage of every nation because language is not only a means of communication but also it is the root of knowledge, literature, and history of one country. For example, some literary works are only available in a specific language, even if they are translated into other languages, they can hardly express the original meaning of the authors. Therefore, preserving and developing the diversity of languages would enrich the culture and development of humankind.

On the other hand, language is the identity as well as the pride of one race as it took a language thousands of years or even more to evolve and emerge in a society. For instance, I used to live abroad for several years and every time I have the opportunity to speak or listen to my mother tongue - Vietnamese, I feel like listening to my mother’s lullaby. For this reason, I believe that language plays an important role in individuals’ mental wellbeing.

In conclusion, for the reasons I have mentioned above, I totally disagree with the opinion that life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. I believe that the variety of languages shows the historical value of the world civilization and should be well-preserved to prevent culture and knowledge loss.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Many people argue that the extinction of numerous languages every year is not a serious problem as modern life will be less complicated without so many languages worldwide. Personally, I completely disagree with this view because I think that languages have a lot of benefits to individuals and society as well. [great intro!]

To begin with, language is an integral part of every nation's cultural heritage because language is not only a means of communication but also it is also the root of knowledge, literature, and history of one a country. For example, some literary works are only available in a specific language, even if they are translated into other languages, they can hardly express the original meaning of the authors. Therefore, preserving and developing the diversity of languages would enrich the culture and development of humankind.

On the other hand, language is the identity as well as the pride of one's race as it took a language thousands of years or even more to evolve and emerge in a society. For instance, I used to live abroad for several years and every time I had the opportunity to speak or listen to my mother tongue - Vietnamese, I feel like listening to my mother’s lullaby. For this reason, I believe that language plays an important role in an individuals’ mental wellbeing.

In conclusion, for the reasons I have mentioned above, I totally disagree with the opinion that life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. I believe that the variety of languages shows the historical value of the world civilization and should be well-preserved to prevent culture and knowledge loss.

Feedback

Overall, great job. You said On the other hand in paragraph three, but it doesn't sound like you are giving a contrary view. Perhaps you should have used: Futhermore...

Do you agree?