Books for English teachers

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

slevlife

Jul 14, 2021
Hi everyone! I'm really interested in finding the best English teaching books and coursebooks, so I've been doing a bunch of research on them lately. Here are a few I'll call out:

Language Awareness
  • Grammar for English Language Teachers, 2nd Edition by M. Parrott
  • Learner English: A Teacher’s Guide to Interference and Other Problems, 2nd Edition by M. Swan & B. Smith
Teaching Methodology
  • Learning Teaching: The Essential Guide to English Language Teaching, 3rd Edition by J. Scrivener
  • The Practice of English Language Teaching, 5th Edition by J. Harmer
I've listed a lot more books for English teachers here where I've included mini-reviews of the above, along with many others categorized by the language subskills they aim to help you teach, and a bunch of coursebooks for British and American English. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you!

I'm very interested to hear your favorites as well. What books have helped you most in your English teaching career? What coursebooks have you used in your classrooms, and were they any good?

Last edited:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you for sharing. I find many of these types of books fairly bland. Quite a few years ago I read a book about how people learn languages. It had a lot of interesting stories about how people learn languages, bilingualism and what goes on in the brain. For example there was a story about someone who was bilingual then they had a head injury and they could no longer recall one of the language they could speak.

I can't remember the name of the book though, but if you know of any books like this, please let me know!

slevlife

Jul 14, 2021
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks has some stories like that, but not about losing just one language. That would be a very interesting case to learn more about.