Assessment of ELLs

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

aboeke

Nov 19, 2021
I am working on my Masters in English Language Learning and Teaching and I have to create a post that focuses on assessment for ELLs. I am in a general education Kindergarten classroom with about half my class identifying as ELLs. I would love opinions and thoughts about differentiating assessments based on their first language. Do you differentiate assessments depending on grade level? As a teacher of young students, most of them know quite a bit of English, so I don't find myself differentiating a ton based on the language they speak at home. At the beginning of the year, I do assess their incoming abilities and I allow them to answer in Spanish since it can be more comfortable for them. I'm just curious to see what everyone does.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Welcome to the forum! This forum is just getting started and we have more students than teachers right now, but hopefully that will change in the future.

I am not sure what you mean by "differentiating assessments based on their first language". Could you give an example?

If it is kindergarten level, I wouldn't expect to focus much on assessments at that age. That is just my opinion though. I don't think you can do formal assessments at such a young age. I suppose it depends on the requirements of the school and the parents' expectations.

aboeke

Nov 19, 2021
Welcome to the forum! This forum is just getting started and we have more students than teachers right now, but hopefully that will change in the future.

I am not sure what you mean by "differentiating assessments based on their first language". Could you give an example?

If it is kindergarten level, I wouldn't expect to focus much on assessments at that age. That is just my opinion though. I don't think you can do formal assessments at such a young age. I suppose it depends on the requirements of the school and the parents' expectations.
I have been reading about translating assessments into their native language to help benefit them, however with Kindergarten, assessments can be challenging in any language. I was wondering how students who don't speak English very well are assessed in content areas.

Most of our Kindergarten assessments are done orally and one-on-one. They struggle to be able to complete a formal assessment on their own, but other than a few formal assessments, we mainly do informal ones.