73 questions found on English Sentences

PreplyHomeEnglish

73 questions found with subject English

Troye Kaizhuo
Troye Kaizhuo
2likes
2answers

How to use "plus" in a sentence

How is "plus" differently used in a sentence when it is a preposition, conjunction and an adjective?...

2 people liked this question

Best answer from our tutor

Nicci
Nicci
English Tutor
Certified tutor with over 10 years experience.

Hi

A conjunction is a word used to connect clauses or sentences. As a conjunction: Let's go home now, it's late, plus I am not feeling well.

An adjective is a word used to modify a noun or a pronoun. As an adjective: A plus factor is that you don't have to go to school if you are sick.

As a preposition: Two plus two is four.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards Nicci

The answer is:

Troye Kaizhuo
Troye Kaizhuo
1likes
2answers

"in that" as a conjunction

How does "in that" function in a sentence, and which grammatical part of the sentence is "in that" r...

1 person liked this question

Raffaella
Raffaella
Trinity College CertTESOL qualified teacher

You use "in that" to introduce an explanation of a statement you have just made. (i.e. I'm lucky in that I've got two wonderful sisters). It's a conjunction. You can use "because" instead, even though there can be a difference: "because" is more a statement of causality, while "in that" is used to describe a relationship or a perception.

Hope it can help.

The answer is:

Troye Kaizhuo
Troye Kaizhuo
1likes
2answers

"for" as a conjunction

How is "for" used as a conjunction in a sentence? How is a conjunctional for different from a prepos...

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Troye Kaizhuo As a preposition (followed by a noun): I bought these for you She works for me He just left for the office.

As a conjunction (connecting two clauses): Because I left early, for I was very tired. He was sick for lack of food.

Best Regards

The answer is:

name
0likes
1answers

What should i change for the sentence to be correct?

The RECEPTION of communication is achieved by means of one’s senses, OF WHICH sight AND hearing play...

0 people liked this question

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

The RECEPTION of communication is achieved by means of one’s senses, OF WHICH sight AND hearing play the most IMPORTANT ROLES.

The answer is:

Paul
Paul
English Tutor
English teacher for 30+ years

Hi, Shawn. I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Message me if you want and I'll try to help. Or you can re-word what you want back here. Best wishes, Paul L.

The answer is:

Niky
Niky
0likes
2answers

Which is right below?

8. a. Locals, commuting every morning without looking at the beauty of the city anymore. b. Locals c...

Debbie
Debbie
English Tutor
IELTS EXAMINER for 7 years & 11 years teaching English online.

Hello Niky. It depends on the context you are using the above mentioned sentences. There is a possibility of them all being ok apart from C. In my opinion, that would be wrong.

Regards, Debbie

The answer is:

Richard
Richard
1likes
1answers

What is the backshifting rule in reported speech?

What is the backshifting rule in reported speech? It is difficult to me convert sentences.

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi Richard When changing direct speech to reported speech, there are modifications to pronouns, time adverbials and verb tense (most often). Back-shifting happens when a verb tense is shifted back from a present tense to a past form in reported speech, although it doesn’t happen in all reported speech. It is also known as the sequence-of-tense rule.

“I am feeling sick.” He said he was feeling sick. “Where did you get that?” Mom asked where I had got that. “I have seen the doctor.” You said you had seen the doctor. “Can I come with you?” she asked She asked if she could come with us

We use backshift when it is logical to use backshift. Eddy said "I am hungry" Eddy said that he was hungry. (Yesterday) Eddy just said that he is hungry. (Now) (No back-shifting required – not logical because Eddy is still hungry)

When the main verb in the reported speech is in the present tense, the verb in the reported phrase does not change. “He is coming.” She says that he is coming. “They came last week.” He says they came yesterday. “I can do it.” He says he can do it.

Best Regards

The answer is:

الدفاع عن النفس
الدفاع عن النفس
0likes
3answers

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Your question is not clear

How much money do you need? I need a lot of money.

The answer is:

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Doston said he was going to the UK that day.

The answer is:

Mehran
Mehran
English Tutor
Certified IELTS Teacher and Mentor with 9 years of Teaching experience Ready To Tutor

wasn't she

The answer is:

Still looking for help?

Try an expert online tutor. 1-on-1 lessons for every budget.

Tutor avatar
Tutor Avatar
Tutor country flag
English
$
per hour
15,488 lessons
Speaks:EnglishNative+5
Advanced TESOL Instructor with 12 years Teaching Experience, Midwestern American Accent and Pronunciation + Certified English / Spanish Medical Interpreter My over 150 reviews speak for themselves, but if you really want to take your English to the next level and are serious about cutting back on mistakes, and improving naturalness and efficiency, I am your guy! How will I help you? By Energizing Your English! My TESOL Certification Specializing in ...
$
per hour
Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

Community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online