Dictionaries and Reference Books Online
- Cambridge International Dictionaries: highly recommended for students and teachers of English. Good examples of use.
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: Best-selling dictionary for foreign students. Clear definitions and examples of use.
- The Internet Picture Dictionary: picture dictionary with online exercises. The vocabulary is mostly objects (nouns), but it's fun!
- Dictionary.com: direct access to several online dictionaries at once..
- Roget's Thesaurus: words listed by concept, rather than A-Z.
- Encyclopedia.com: online access to the Concise Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia.
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary: excellent dictionary of American English.
- OneLook Dictionary Search: Search for online-dictionary web sites.
- FOLDOC Dictionary of Computing: over 13,000 computer words and phrases..
- LOGOS Multilingual Dictionary: 7.5 million words, 30+ languages!.
- Acronym Finder. Find the full versions of abbreviations (such as NB, eg, IOU, ie, etc.) and acronyms (names such as BBC, EEC, NASA, NATO, UN, etc.).
- Crossword Search Tool: search for a partially completed word.
- Foreign Languages for Travellers: useful phrases, with AU sound
- yourDictionary.com: index of on-line dictionaries.
- Leo Collection of Web Dictionaries
- Pedro's List of Dictionaries
- English (British) - American Dictionary
- Dictionary of American Regional English
- US-UK Confusing Words, compiled for Americans by an irreverent Brit. Beware - includes some 'bad' language. A-Z version here.
- Larry's Aussie Slang and Phrase Dictionary
- The Etymology and History of First Names
- TechEncyclopedia: 14,000+ definitions of computer terms and concepts.
- Software Engineering Glossary
- Internet Glossary: short and clear.
- International Legal Dictionary
- Encyclopædia Britannica On-Line: huge knowledge database. Access is by subscription, but you can register for a 14-day free trial.
- Complete Works of Shakespeare: from M.I.T.
- I Love Languages The Human Languages Page: links to language web sites.
- Nerd World - Languages: web links
- Language Identifier: an interesting program that attempts to identify automatically the language of a sentence, phrase, or word.
Related categories in the Web Directory
Find great deals on
books and other stuff
at Half.com (USA)
Electronic Dictionaries and Translation Software from Ectaco.com
BBC America Shop
Books, Videos, Music
and other cool stuff