Dictionaries and Reference Books Online
- Cambridge International Dictionaries: highly recommended for students and teachers of English. Good examples of use.
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: Best-selling dictionary for foreign students. Clear definitions and examples of use.
- The Internet Picture Dictionary: picture dictionary with online exercises. The vocabulary is mostly objects (nouns), but it's fun!
- Dictionary.com: direct access to several online dictionaries at once..
- Roget's Thesaurus: words listed by concept, rather than A-Z.
- Encyclopedia.com: online access to the Concise Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia.
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary: excellent dictionary of American English.
- OneLook Dictionary Search: Search for online-dictionary web sites.
- FOLDOC Dictionary of Computing: over 13,000 computer words and phrases..
- LOGOS Multilingual Dictionary: 7.5 million words, 30+ languages!.
- Acronym Finder. Find the full versions of abbreviations (such as NB, eg, IOU, ie, etc.) and acronyms (names such as BBC, EEC, NASA, NATO, UN, etc.).
- Crossword Search Tool: search for a partially completed word.
- Foreign Languages for Travellers: useful phrases, with AU sound
- yourDictionary.com: index of on-line dictionaries.
- Leo Collection of Web Dictionaries
- Pedro's List of Dictionaries
- English (British) - American Dictionary
- Dictionary of American Regional English
- US-UK Confusing Words, compiled for Americans by an irreverent Brit. Beware - includes some 'bad' language. A-Z version here.
- Larry's Aussie Slang and Phrase Dictionary
- The Etymology and History of First Names
- TechEncyclopedia: 14,000+ definitions of computer terms and concepts.
- Software Engineering Glossary
- Internet Glossary: short and clear.
- International Legal Dictionary
- Encyclopædia Britannica On-Line: huge knowledge database. Access is by subscription, but you can register for a 14-day free trial.
- Complete Works of Shakespeare: from M.I.T.
- I Love Languages The Human Languages Page: links to language web sites.
- Nerd World - Languages: web links
- Language Identifier: an interesting program that attempts to identify automatically the language of a sentence, phrase, or word.
Related categories in the Web Directory
Get Blue from American Express Now!
Electronic Dictionaries and Translation Software from Ectaco.com
BBC America Shop
Books, Videos, Music
and other cool stuff